After having spend almost 48 hours on the system and not finding a satisfactory answer, I could solve the problem and I decided to post the solution for people who might have the same problem.
1. Download xampp-linux-1.4.11.tar.gz. Unzip as follows:
tar zxvf xampp-linux-1.4.11.tar.gz -C /opt
Note, I tried integrating tomcat with the latest xamp, but with utter failure. Later I could figure out that I needed apache-2.0 to make mod_jk.so module work. I tried compiling mod_jk from source, but it did not compile and gave all kinds of errors.
2. Download tomcat-connectors-1.2.22-src.tar.gz from link. This connector has already compiled mod_jk.so module that wors with apache 2.0 (and not apache 2.2.x) and also sets all configuration files.
3. Execute: tar zxvf tomcat-connectors-1.2.22-src.tar.gz -C /opt
4. Add following line to /opt/lampp/etc/httpd.conf
5. Run lampp:
6. Run tomat:
Check that you following link opens in browser:
7. To check if the conector is working correctly,
If this works fine, Congratulations you have succueeded in making lampp/xampp and apache work with tomcat.