Motorola has been a bit late in terms of providing their existing users with upgrade to Android 4.0 i.e. Ice-cream sandwich. However, here is a custom ROM for Motorola Defy which will upgrade it to Android ICS 4.0.4 You can us it until Motorola announces an official upgrade.
This Custom ROM is totally stable on Motorola Defy and work very well on it and this upgrade would allow you to use some new features of Android ICS like Panorama Picture Capturing, Google Chrome for internet browsing, face unlocking, face detection and complete data-usage.
Important Note: Although, we have taken the ROM link from a very reliable developer(XDA-Forum), yet go for this upgrade at your own risk as neither this site nor the author would be responsible for any problem in upgradation. However, this happens rarely. Also you would lose warranty of the hardware(if any).
The upgradation Process consists of two parts:
- Pre upgradation Steps.
- Final Upgradation.
So here we go:
Pre Upgradation Steps
- Before starting the below steps, please make sure that your device is Motorola Defy otherwise this can brick your device.
- We also advice you to take the entire backup of existing ROM of your Motorola Defy by using Nandroid Backup and Restore App (from XDA).
- Also take a backup of SMS, Contacts etc as they would be all lost during the upgrade.
- The upgradation requires battery power. So amke sure that your Motorola Defy is charged to ~80%. This is advised to make sure that your phone doesn’t turn-off during upgradation process.
- We would also advice you todisable all the anti-virus on your Motorola Defy. Also uninstall all the Kies from your computer.
- Now, take your Motorola Defy smartphone into USB debugging mode.( This option is already available in your phone and can be seen at Settings >> Applications >> Development >> USB Debugging).
- With this, your Motorola Defy is now ready to be upgraded.
- First of download the Android 4.0 ICS package for the Motorola Defy and Google Apps package for Motorola Defy.
- Now connect your phone with PC using USB cable and copy both files on SD card (do remember the location).
- Not remove USB cable and then power off your Motorola Defy and restart it in recovery mode (Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down and then press the power button).
- Once recovery mode appears on screen, release all buttons.
- Now select “Install Zip from SD card” (use volume keys to scroll) and select the firmware package you’ve copied to SD card. This will take some time to upgrade.
- Repeat the same for Google Apps package.
- Once done, go back to main menu and then select “Reboot System Now” and this will restart your device. (It can take a bit extra time to bot first time, so wait for a while).
With this, you’ve upgraded to ICS 4.0.4 on your Motorola Defy. Try all its feature and enjoy!