The very first variant of Samsung Galaxy S series, i.e Samsung Vibrant can now be upgraded to the latest version of android i.e. Jellybean 4.1 This upgrade will allow you use your Galaxy S Vibrant in a better way as it will bring in a lot of new new features including offline voice search etc.
Before we go further, we would like to tell you that many users who upgraded their Vibrant smartphone device to this firmware, they’ve reported some bugs like Wi-Fi not working, Camera not working. So we do not suggest normal users to try and go for this upgrade. However, if you are an enthusiast and want to try the taste of Android Jellybean, you can go for it as this update is just mentioned for experimentation.
Important Note: We suggest you to follow the below steps with extra care because if anything goes wrong, your phone can get bricked (though they are very less chances of bricking). So try this at your own risk and we cannot be held responsible for any problem whatsoever.
The upgrade process is divided into two parts:
1. Pre Upgradation Steps.
2. Final Upgradation.
So here we go:
Pre Upgradation Steps
- First of all make sure that your device is Samsung Galaxy Vibrant as this upgrade won’t work on other versions.
- Take a backup of your existing ROM. We recommend the usage of Nandroid from XDA-Developers for this.
- Also take a backup of your important data such as SMS, Contacts, Call Logs etc with the help of Contacts Backup App from Google Play. You can also use Astro for backing up some your important applications.
- Now make sure that you smartphone is charge more than 80% as this upgradation requires intensive battery power.
- Now disable all antivirus software on your cellphone (if any), as they can interrupt with the upgradation process.
- Now get you phone into USB Debugging Mode. The option for it is available at Settings >> Applications >> >>Development>>Enable USB Debugging.
- Now connect your device with your computer. Once connected, you are ready to upgrade your phone.
- First of all, download Jellybean 4.1 firmware Package on your computer.
- Now transfer this file to the SD card of your phone (remember the location where you copy it).
- Now Turn Off your phone and restart it in recovery mode (Press Volume down Key + Volume Up key , keep holding them both and press the Power Button until you see recovery mode on the screen.
- Now, you are required to select Wipe data/factory reset and Wipe Cache partition. (You can scroll using the volume keys and select using tap key).
- Afterwards, just select the firmware package you’ve copied to the SD card of your phone.
- This will start upgrading you device. Wait until the process completes.
- After the process completes, just go back and select reboot system now and your phone will restart.
With this you’ve upgraded you device to Jellybean successfully.